3 Steps For Troubleshooting Simple Problems With Your Automatic Driveway Slide Gate
If your automatic driveway gate is either sluggish or not working when you try to open it, you may wonder if there is a simple cause with an easy solution. Below are three troubleshooting steps to find out if the problem can be easily repaired by you.
Step 1: Check The Power And Signals
The first step in troubleshooting your automatic gate is to ensure it has power and a strong signal. Follow the steps below to check the wiring and transmitter.
- Look at the power supply box to see if there are any loose or broken wires. If you have any electrical background, you can try to replace them yourself. If not, you will want a repairman to do the job.
- If the power box and wires are intact, check your remote control. The batteries may simply need to be changed.
- After changing the batteries with no improvement, check the transmitter on the gate for dirt on the sensor. Wipe it off with a soft, clean rag.
- If the gate is still not working properly, go on to the next section.
Step 2: Examine The Bearings And Track
Once you have ruled out any problems with the power supply and signal, the next troubleshooting step involved examining the bearings and track for any mechanical trouble.
- Manually pull the gate open, feeling for any points of resistance.
- Look at the track for any debris or dirt that could be causing the gate to stop. Sweep the inside of the track with a broom to ensure it is clean.
- As you pull the gate, listen for any grinding noises that could indicate a loose or damaged bearing. If you do hear it, it may need to be replaced by a professional.
- If there does not seem to be any problems with the bearings or track, go on to the next section.
Step 3: Inspect The Gate
If you still do not know the cause of your gate's problems, the next step is inspecting the gate itself.
- With one side of the gate open and the other closed, stand at the edge to look at the gate longways. Look for any warping or broken rods.
- Repeat step one with the other side.
- If you see that the gate is warped or broken, this could prevent it from opening smoothly or at all. When this type of problem is seen, the gate may need to be replaced.
After going through the steps, you may still not know why your gate will not open correctly. If so, you may want to contact a professional to inspect and repair your automatic driveway gate.